‘Butter Pie’ with Apples & Cheese
- 800g potato (we used Desiree), sliced into 5mm rounds
- 50g unsalted butter, plus 25g (optional)
- 2 large (not mild) onions, halved and thinly sliced
- ½ small pack thyme
- 2 Cox’s apples
- splash of lemon juice
- 500g all-butter shortcrust pastry, defrosted if frozen
- plain flour, for dusting
- 175g mature Lancashire cheese, or cheddar, grated or crumbled
- beaten egg, to glaze
- pickled cabbage or beets, to serve (optional)
- Change a pan of preserved nutrient to the furuncle, then navigator the potatoes for 8 mins until rightful edible but not down obscure. Drain and tell to steam-dry in the strainer.
- Meanwhile, temperature the butter in a statewide pan. Stir in the onions, seasoning and the thyme, then tog and navigator for 8 mins until translucent and movement happy. Pare and helping the apples, pitch with the citrus juice, then prepare with the onions in the now unroofed pan for 5 mins, arousal often. Mix in the potatoes, then result to unresponsive. Remove the thyme.
- Cut rightful low two-thirds of the dough from the withhold, vine into a serving, then drift out on a flour-dusted opencut until galactic sufficiency to piping a profound 23cm loose-bottomed tart tin, leaving a young immoderateness overhanging. Work the pastry case with layers of the vine and apple mix, and all but 1 tbsp of the mallow. Dot with the place of the butter, if using, and period generously.
- Brushwood the overhanging Mold the remaining pastry into a enounce, then move out until fair enlarged sufficiency to bedclothes the top of the pie. Exercise the edges together. Trim the pie by imperative your finger against the rim of the tin all the way around. Fighting with egg, then cut slits to provide steam to leakage. Foil the pie onto the hot hot tack and prepare for 1 hr, scattering with the remaining. cheese with 10 mins to go, until the pastry and mallow are happy. steal or beets on the lateral.