Homemade Seafood Gumbo
The most time-ingesting part and the maximum essential component is making the roux. it’s miles a procedure that must now not be rushed. It forms the bottom of the taste and you really want to make an effort and increase a deep, strong taste. Making roux can take a few practice. turn the warmth up too high and it’ll burn and you’ll ought to begin again.
further to shrimp and crab, this Seafood Gumbo is also flavored with the Holy Trinity- (onions, bell pepper, and celery), plenty of garlic, a bottle of beer, thyme, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, and masses of Cajun seasoning. Plus there’s a pound of andouille sausage for some meatiness.
- half of cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-reason flour
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- half cup inexperienced onion tops
- 1/four cup chopped clean parsley
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- 2 kilos unpeeled fresh massive shrimp
- half cup butter, divided
- 2 (32-ounce) cartons fowl broth
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
- 2 cups finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup finely chopped inexperienced bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle amber beer
- Cooked rice for serving
- Peel and devein shrimp, setting shrimp shells in a huge pot. Refrigerate shrimp till wanted.
- In a large pot, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium warmness. upload shrimp shells and prepare dinner until purple. Then add broth.
- carry broth to a boil, reduce warmness and simmer 15 minutes. put off from warmness and maintain warm until wanted.
- In a large Dutch oven, prepare dinner sausage till browned. put off sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- add oil and remaining 1/4 cup butter to Dutch oven. warmness over medium warmness till butter is completely melted.
- add flour and stir with wooden spoon till smooth.
- lessen warmth to medium low and cook dinner, stirring regularly until roux is a darkish caramel color. this could take 30 to forty minutes.
- add onion and prepare dinner for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- upload inexperienced pepper and celery and cook dinner for five extra minutes, stirring often.
- upload garlic and prepare dinner 1 minute.
- add beer and stir in nicely.
- Pour shrimp stock thru a quality-meshed sieve into Dutch oven. (i like to feature it in 3 separate additions, blending well between additions.
- add Cajun seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and bay leaves, plus the reserved andouille sausage. carry to a boil. reduce warmth to medium-low, cover and simmer for 1 half hours.
- upload inexperienced onions, parsley, and shrimp. whilst shrimp are crimson, get rid of from heat and stir in crabmeat.
- Serve with white rice.