Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars Recipe #christmas #dessert
I spend all kinds of time conversing with people (I almost used the word conversating there only to find out that it isn’t actually a word, and that means I have probably been embarrassing myself all the time, but it’s cool). Anyway, I chat with people about what exactly they’d like to see on the blog. Some people want healthy things, some people want all of the chocolate. A couple of weeks ago it was all about my son and his big day and his favorite ORANGE BROWNIES.
These easy lemon bars have a sweet sugar cookie crust topped with a tangy lemon cheesecake filling and then topped with more sugar cookie crumble. The perfect balance of sweet and tangy.
Sugar cookie crust:
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Cup butter at room temperature
- 2 Cups all purpose flour
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest divided
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 8 Ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/4 Cup lemon juice
For the bars:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8×8 or 9×9 inch square baking dish with foil and spray liberally with non stick cooking spray.
- In bowl of stand mixer using paddle attachment, or large bowl with hand mixer, beat together the butter, sugar, and vanilla on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Turn mixer to low and slowly add the flour (1/2 cup at a time) and mix just until dough comes together.
- Press half of the dough into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- Cool completely before filling.
- Store remaining sugar cookie dough in a bowl in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- For the Filling:
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, or medium bowl with a hand mixer beat together the cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice, and 1 Tbsp. of the lemon zest until smooth and creamy.
- Pour filling over cooled crust.
- Top filling with the remaining sugar cookie dough by simply crumbling it evenly over the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until cookie crumble is light golden in color.
- Top with remaining lemon zest as desired.