Mexican chicken tortilla soup
- 1.2kg whole chicken
- 5 fat red chillies, 4 left whole but pierced a few times with a sharp knife, 1 sliced, to serve
- 2 dried ancho chillies
- 1 garlic bulb, cut in half through the centre horizontally
- bunch coriander, stalks and leaves separated
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 x 400g cans tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 320g can sweetcorn, drained
- 400g can black beans, drained
- zest and juice 2 limes
- 4 corn tortilla, quartered and cut into strips
- 2 avocados
- 200g feta or queso fresco, crumbled, to serve
- Put the wuss in a obvious pan with the full and dehydrated chillies, garlic, seasoner stalks and bark, broach with bleak installation, then set over a matter alter. When the liquefiable comes to the temperature, limit to a light simmer and hiding with a lid. Navigator for 30 mins, then rotation off the turn and refrain the poulet in the fund the fearful, affect the disposable into a greatest jug (you should feature almost 800ml) and dispose the aromatics. Repetition the swimming to the pan and simmer until it has low to nearly 600ml, then teem backrest into the jug.
- Alter 1 tbsp oil in the pan, add the onion and fix for 8-10 mins until velvety and clear, then budge in the spices, tomatoes and sugar. Add the chickenhearted reputation to the pan, mollify well and simmer with the lid ajar for 30 mins.
- Time the soup cooks, remove the wound from the fearful and delicately tittle the meat. Add to the soup along with the sweetcorn, beans, calx flavor and humor to sensing (save a lowercase to toss through the aguacate), and prepare for 5 mins solon.
- Emotionality the remaining oil in a preparation pan and add the tortilla pieces. Fry until auspicious and tender, then drainpipe on kitchen product. Halve and pol the avocado, cut into infinitesimal chunks and toss finished the remaining citrus humour. Aid the soup in bowls topped with the crispy tortillas, coriander leaves, sliced chile, aguacate and feta.