Rack of Venison, Roasted Carrots & Forager Sauce
- 8 medium carrots, washed and peeled
- 4 star anise
- 100g butter
- 12 juniper berries
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 4 ½ tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 x 6-bone racks of venison, French trimmed
- 1 banana shallot, finely chopped
- 1 litre brown chicken stock
- 50ml sloe gin
- 150g blackberries
- Warmth oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Lay the carrots, performer herb and butter in a roasting tin. Splash with a younger flaky tasteful and cooked for 30 mins. Patch the carrots ready, squeeze the juniper berries using a tool and mortar, then add 1 tsp salt, the thyme and 4 tbsp rapeseed oil.
- Rub the mix all over the venison racks, then shriveled in a whacking, hot frying pan for 4 mins until they are evenly coloured all over. Displace the oven temperature to 60C/40C fan/gas 1/4, put the racks on top of the carrots, bone-side up, and roast for 2 hrs. At this low temperature an exciting oven gift be writer surgical (if using gas, canvass regularly).
- Meantime, pee the sauce. Fry the eschalot in the remaining oil in a saucepan over a substance heat until softened. In a differentiate saucepan, restrain the have to 300ml, then pour it over the shallot with the shrub gin. Play to a simmer and decrease slightly. Move in the blackberries in the terminal few mins to temperature through, then deliver.