TakeOut- Style Chicken Lo Mein
Lo mein is a popular chinese-American dish for precise reason — it’s got savory noodles, crisp greens, and your choice of protein all packed into one takeout-pleasant dish. however with the assist of a sauce that still doubles as a marinade for hen, you may make and dig into a large pile of noodle stir-fry in much less than 30 minutes. That’s quicker than it takes for transport to reach!
For the sauce and chicken:
- 1 half of teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/four teaspoon kosher salt, plus greater for cooking the noodles
- 1 medium boneless, skinless fowl breast (about eight oz.)
- 1/four cup tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine or dry sherry
For the noodles:
- three tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- half medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- eight oz. dried lo mein or udon noodles
- Kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced (elective)
- four oz snow peas or sugar snap peas, halved on a slight diagonal
- 1 medium crimson bell pepper, thinly sliced
- Make the sauce and marinade: bring a huge pot of salted water to a boil. Meawhile, location the soy sauce, wine or sherry, cornstarch, sugar, and ultimate 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl and whisk until the cornstarch is dissolved. switch 2 tablespoons of the sauce to a medium bowl. reduce the hen breast in half of horizontally (also referred to as butterflying), then reduce crosswise into skinny strips. place the fowl within the medium bowl and toss to coat; set the marinated hen and the last sauce apart.
- cook dinner the noodles and greens: upload the noodles to the boiling water and cook according to package deal guidelines. in the meantime, warmth 1 tablespoon of the oil in a big nonstick skillet or wok over medium-excessive until shimmering. add the onion, season with salt, and cook dinner until beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. upload the snow peas or snap peas, bell pepper, and garlic and stir-fry until crisp gentle, approximately 2 mins. transfer to a plate; set aside.
- while the noodles are prepared, drain in a colander and run underneath bloodless water until cooled. Set apart to drain at the same time as you prepare dinner the bird.
- heat the final 2 tablespoons oil within the skillet over medium-excessive warmness until shimmering. upload the chook and unfold right into a unmarried layer. Sear undisturbed until the hen is golden-brown on the bottom, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Stir-fry until just cooked via, approximately 1 minute more.
- upload the noodles and reserved veggies. cook, tossing with tongs, till heated via, about 2 mins. Whisk the sauce again to recombine and dissolve the cornstarch, then upload to the pan. Toss till the sauce calmly coats the noodles and greens. Garnish with the scallions if favored and serve.