How To Make Fresh Homemade Udon
Do not have much time to visit a Japanese food stall to enjoy your favorite udon recipe?
Well, worry no more! This page will tell you how to create fresh homemade udon so that you can enjoy your favorite udon recipe whenever you want.
How To Make Fresh Homemade Udon
To create this homemade udon, you will only need 4 simple ingredients that you can easily find at a grocery store, plus a lazy weekend afternoon.
This is because there are a few steps that you have to complete. Though each of them can be done in a couple of minutes, that dough needs to rest between each step.
Thus, it will be better if you can use your afternoon to spread over the process to get the perfect dough. It can also be frozen to allow you to cook spicy garlic noodles with chicken or udon with ponzu and brown butter whenever you have time for that.
What You Need to Prepare The Ingredients
Contrary to people’s belief that the fact, making homemade is relatively simple. You don’t even need a ton of kitchen utensils to create this chewy Japanese noodle.
All you the equipment you need to prepare are only two small bowls, flour bowl, stand mixer, and a sharp knife. Meanwhile, the ingredients you need to make this fresh udon recipe include:
- ¾ cup of water
- 1/3 cup of tapioca or corn starch
- 1 ½ tablespoon sea salt
- 2 ¾ cups bread flour
Steps to Make Homemade Udon
Can’t wait to make your homemade udon? Well, here are some instructions that you need to follow.
- For the first step, you can start to dissolve the salt in the warm water put in a small bowl. Then, prepare a second bowl to allow sift the flour as well as starch in it.
- Then, you can create a “well” in the flour bowl. Make sure to add in ½ cup of water into the well you have made before. Use your hands to blend the mixture well and the water is incorporated. To create a perfect mixture, you can “toss” the water into that dough simply by using a swift upward motion. This motion will allow you to create a sandlike mixture.
- Once you have finished with the mixture, you can put ½ cup of the remaining water to the flour bowl. Just continue to mix until you can separate that dough into strands. Then, you can put the rest of the water into that dough. Keep mixing and squeezing that dough until it forms a ball. However, you need to know that you will not get a smooth dough at this point. So, leave it aside for about 30 minutes.
- Get a smooth and shiny dough simply by kneading it. You choose to do it by using a stand mixer or your hands for about 8 to 10 minutes. Then, form that dough into a tight ball and don’t forget to smear it with a little olive oil. Leave that dough in a bowl and cover it with a cloth for about 3 or 4 hours.
- Use flour to sprinkle your counter and put that dough on it. Make sure you roll that dough into a ¼-inch thickness.
- Then, use starch to sprinkle that dough and then fold it into half. Use more starch to sprinkle that dough over and over again. Fold that dough in half just like the previous step and then let it for about 30 minutes.
- Now, this is the time to cut that dough crosswise and get the shape that you like. You can use a sharp knife and create ¼-inch wide udon. Make sure to separate the udon so they will not stick to one another.
Please read : The Asian Taste of Chicken Curry Panang With Noodles
This is how you make tasty fresh homemade udon recipe for your family. Enjoying it with your family at home is highly recommended. Please try and practice by yourself.
Incoming search terms:
- how to make udon