Jamaican Spicy Potato Curry for Vegan
Who says that vegan meal is not as delicious as non-vegan meal?
If you ever think so, you may have not tasted Jamaican spicy potato curry yet. You are about to know the recipe of Jamaican spicy potato curry.
It is rich of flavors and combines healthy ingredients which will be suitable even for the strictest meal eater. Besides, this recipe is also suitable for large crowds.
If you are going to throw a party, this recipe must be included in your meal list. Potato curry is easy to make vegan curry recipe. It is one of the easiest ways available.
Jamaican Curry Powder
For the record, this recipe will not use curry powder. It is because curry powder actually is a blend of ground spices, such as cumin, turmeric, and coriander. Those spices are used for making curry.
Instead, the recipe uses those ground spices. The blend of spices may be different from country to country since it is based on spices that are available in that country.
Hence, the final dish will taste different depending on the curry you used. You can use BETAPAC, Grace, or Blue Mountain for the Jamaican curry powder. Those are the most used brands.
How to Make Jamaican Spicy Potato Curry
Jamaican spicy potato curry is easy to make. Basically, you just use saute onion, garlic, ginger, thyme, spices, and cook them until fragrant.
Next, add potatoes, tomatoes, chickpea, carrots, water, coconut milk, pepper and salt. Cook until it is creamy and thick. It is simple, right? Below is the complete ingredients of Jamaican spicy potato curry.
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 small chopped onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of ginger, grated
- 2 stalks of chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons of ground turmeric
- 1 ½ teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 medium chopped tomato
- 4 medium peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium diced carrot
- 1 ½ cups of cooked chickpeas
- 1-15 ounce can of coconut milk
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup of frozen green peas
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of Cayenne pepper
Well, that is surely lots of ingredients, right?
Now we are about to make Jamaican spicy potato curry. Just simply follow these instructions.
- First, heat oil in a large saucepan. Add chopped onion and saute it until soft for about 4 minutes. Add garlic, green onions, and ginger. Stir it for 1 minute.
- Next, add the ground spices: turmeric, cumin, coriander, and thyme. Cook until fragrant with stirring it constantly.
- Add tomato, potatoes, carrots, chickpeas, coconut milk, and water.
- Cover the saucepan and boil it.
- Simmer it for 30 minutes until it gets thickened.
- Stir in peas, salt, pepper, and the remaining spices.
- Remove from heat
- Your Jamaican spicy potato curry is ready to serve.
You can remove or replace some of the ingredients if you like. For example, if you do not like the heat, you can remove Cayenne pepper from the ingredients. Green peas and carrots are used for the color.
You totally do not have to use them if you like or just substitute them according to your preference.
The use of coconut milk in theJamaican spicy potato curry recipe is for adding a creamy flavor. You can replace it with vegetable broth.
Please read : Perfect Crack Dip Recipe
The recipe uses natural and fresh ground spices instead of curry powder. It is because to make the Jamaican spicy potato curry recipe that rich of flavors. You should try this recipe if you are a vegan and looking for a rich-flavor meal without hurting your diet.